Join Aaron Head, Nashville-based visual artist, for an introduction to Indigo and Shibori
workshop on Sunday, September 9th from 10:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the beautiful Townsend Atelier. The last workshop sold out, and there was a waitlist, so act quickly if you're interested in this workshop!
Participants will learn basics of shibori dyeing, with an emphasis on Itajime (shape resist) and Kumo (twist resist) techniques. Materials will be provided, and participants are highly encouraged to bring their own small, natural fiber items to dye if time allows. Students will leave with dyed cotton fabric, a dyed linen scarf, and a handout detailing the dye process.
• Learn basics of Itajime (shape resist) and Kumo (twist resist) shibori dyeing.
• Learn to dye natural fiber goods in a plant derived indigo vat.
• 1 scarf-sized piece of linen and will be provided, along with a yard of cotton for
• Students are highly encouraged to bring small goods to dye. Cellulose fibers
(cotton, linen, rayon, ramie) accept the color the best. Vintage linens, pillow cases,
Dish towels and clothing are all perfect for this. Pre-wash in hot water before the
• Wear old clothing and shoes that can be stained. The dye will splash
• Student should bring a sack lunch. Drinks and dessert are provided.